Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Bread Spoon

My Grandma was famous for her homemade bread. Once, when I was younger, I got to make it with her, and I tried to write down the recipe. Well, she didn't have a normal recipe. She had made it so many times, that she just knew how much of every ingredient to include. It was also not a normal recipe because she had a special measuring tool - the bread spoon. She knew how many spoonfuls of shortening, etc. She used it so much, that it was worn down. Unfortunately, the bread spoon was lost a few years back. My Grandma didn't know where it was. When she moved out of her house, we searched everywhere for the spoon. It made me sad that the spoon was lost, but it is not lost anymore. This week, my mom decided to refinish her wood floors, and so she did some cleaning and organizing as she emptied the dining room. And in her cleaning she found the Bread Spoon!! She wrapped it up and gave it to me the other day. I can't believe it has been found and I am so excited. I, unfortunately, do not have my Grandma's talent for bread making, but I am determined to try again now that I have the spoon. Maybe after years of practice, I will one day be able to make some homemade bread as good as my Grandma's.



Homemade Bread

(written by Velma Williams)

I’m certain all my grandmas and great-grandmas made it-my dear mother made it-even my father made it.-Homemade bread. So-my mother taught me and my sister, Irene, how to make bread. Of course our bread never equaled Mother’s, but we made a pretty good imitation, I have to admit-albeit modestly. One day after my marriage I decided to make a batch of bread to surprise my hubby. When he came home from work, I presented him with a loaf. He was shocked and surprised that I had actually made it. “Oh, I have to show this to my Mom. She will be so surprised that you are such a good baker.” And he hurries over to his mother’s with a loaf of bread.


Sometimes my bread didn’t turn out to be especially good textured, but there are some friends who seemed to enjoy it regardless.
For toast, homemade bread can’t be equaled. One morning I found this “love note" on the table from my dear husband. “Dear, these are the last two slices of your bread, and I know how much you enjoy homemade bread toast and I wanted you to have them.”


Now at the age of 86, I don’t have the strength nor ambition to bake. For our family’s traditional Christmas breakfast, Tammy has had to take over the toast department and brings her very good bread for all of us to enjoy.

3 comments:

Jacci Halliday said...

what a wonderful treasure!

AmyandJoey said...

I'm so glad you found the spoon! I thought it might be lost forever. Good luck making bread. I'm sure with practice you will be just as good as Grandma. And maybe you could write down the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, the comment from Amy and Joey above is really from me. I'm using their computer.